The truth is, I can't. Not now. I'm speechless. I'm sad. I'm sorry that there are so many people out there who are falling hook, line, and sinker into this type of "create your own spirituality" thinking. It absolutely BREAKS my HEART!
I have loved Oprah and am thankful for all the contributions that she has made to the world at large. She is extremely compassionate and willingly gives to others regularly. I think the world would be a much better place if we'd all learn to give the way she gives. Of course, not at the level she gives...but with the willingness of spirit to do what John Wesley suggests in this most powerful quote:
Do all the good you can. In all the ways you can. In all
the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the
people you can. As long as ever you can.
-John Wesley
Over the past few years with Oprah, however, I've sensed the shift to the New Age spirituality in some of her book selections. As Carmen points out in her blog, there are "half truths" all over Oprah's website. That, my friends, is a danger to any person who is listening and buying into the type of thinking espoused there: be your own God, you are your own Savior, and so on and so on... And the reality is there are tens of thousands of women and men following Oprah and buying into her belief system.
I'm not here to bash Oprah. I think she is an amazing woman who does amazing things. I am here to say that we all have to remember to give the spiritual litmus test to the things that we read and watch. We need to make sure that we "set our minds on Christ" so that we are not deceived by false teaching. But we need to do so in a way that builds a bridge for those who are searching with all their hearts in these areas of deception. Because, in my opinion, the very worst thing any of us could do is harden ourselves to the point where we cannot extend grace and mercy to those we love. And the second very worst thing we could do is turn our heads and refuse to be informed.
I'm sad today. Very. Very. Sad. Now pass that "litmus stick" over here.
6 comments:
I too believe that Oprah is someone who truly desires to help people. But, like you, I have been so disappointed in her obvious move into New Age thinking. I rarely watch her show anymore because the more you listen to her beliefs, the more they seep into your own thinking. AND, that's what's SO scary about millions of people listening to her discuss these things!
Well... it's sounding to me like the Christians - who are ALREADY Christians, are wising up to Oprah and turning her off. Just from reading these few blogs (that you pointed me too) it seems like the people that she's reaching are the ones who have never claimed Christ to begin with. And that means that they are no WORSE off than they were with NO spiritual feelings or insights. Sooooooo... if they are listening to Oprah... that means that they are activiely "searching"... and so could be swayed by by someone disputing Oprah. Which puts them in a BETTER position than never searching at all... Do you SEE me searching for the silver lining here???
I have never, ever, ever, cared one bit for Oprah...or Dr. Phil. There is just something 'not quite right' about the both of them. Shifting values wherever the wind and $$$$ takes them.
Danielle told me about your good post today. Thank you for speaking up. Oprah has been deceived for a long time now. Oh, how we need to pray for her deliverance! She has been sponsoring occultic teachings on her website (Course on Miracles) via Marianne Williamson, and now also Eckhart Tolle. I can't even go into Target without that book and Oprah's endorsement in my face.
Yes, she's a generous, likeable soul, but good works will never earn us a place in heaven, nor a relationship with Jesus Christ. It would be awesome to see her life turn around for Christ, but she is very entrenched. So, I'm sad, too, my friend. I'm sad for all the young women who look to her for spiritual guidance and are running out to buy these books. It's a dangerous spirituality.
We desperately need the Holy Spirit to help us discern these times. I'm glad you posted this today.
Sending you a big hug!
Vicki
Oprah lost me when she started plugging "The Secret." (shudders)
I used to really like Oprah, subscribed to her magazine and watched (taped) her show often. Now, as you point out, she shifted and New Age is one way to explain it. For me, it's hard to put my finger on what exactly I feel about her. Somehow, I feel like she's had a grand scheme/plan for many years and it's just now starting to show. I no longer subscribe to her magazine or watch her show.
Post a Comment