I am not a housekeeper! I am not sure I've made this proclamation recently on my blog. Suffice it to say, that keeping up with it is a major chore for me. DH helps out quite a bit. The boys are "OK" when they want to be. But none of us are neat-niks by a long shot.
Up until March of last year, my dear dear friend was my "Alice" (think Brady Bunch). E would come to my house for almost two hours daily and keep it up. She even did our laundry. And occasionally, she'd cook--just because she likes to do it and I really don't. In March she took on another family that had to have Hospice Care. This led to her finding her "life's work" as she is now caregiving for people who are in their last stages of life. And she loves it.I am glad she is there for these families. But, if truth be told, I don't like this job. It pretty much cut us right out of the picture. For the first couple of months, we thought it was temporary. So we decided that WE'D keep up with it. And we did OK for a few months. But slowly and steadily, things and jobs started piling up.
I finally put out a "call" at work for a new "Alice". I got three names from friends there. The first one called me and told me that she is a "House Cleaning Fairy". She said that she would NOT open our oven, clean out the refrigerator, OR touch laundry. She told me that she was a "surface cleaner". I said, "I am in need of a 'House Fairy' PLUS." She politely told me that she was not the girl for us.
The second girl called and said she could do the job, but she wanted to do the job in five hour blocks. So two days a week my house would look wonderful...but the other five...well???? I told her I really valued the consistency.
The THIRD girl called, I asked her if she was a "House Cleaning Fairy PLUS" AND she answered, "If that's what you need, I'm your girl." I LOVE that answer.
Yesterday she came for a "walk through". I happened to be home with DS 4 yesterday and so I set about to tidy up a bit before she came. I started in the kitchen which needed some TLC. I don't know why, but I found myself scrubbing the inside of the breadmaker for almost 20 minutes. I washed things that sit on the plant shelf up top. It was a relatively DEEP clean when really I needed to be a "Surface Cleaner" all over the house.
I thought she was coming at 5:30, but we said 4:30. She showed up at 4:17 when I was in the middle of totally emptying out DS 4's room and cleaning it. There was a mountain of clothes waiting for laundry. Old toys bagged up for Goodwill. And other "Junk" all over the hallway floor. The cat had knocked over a plant in the living room and I had done NOTHING in there to remove any dust bunnies.
As you can imagine, my heart SANK when I heard the doorbell. Then I thought, "There's no time like the present to let her know what I need." I walked her around and thank goodness, she didn't run away. In fact, she said that she wanted the job and then she said that she'd take all the Goodwill stuff for her church that is working in a high need area in a neighboring city. I'm THRILLED that she's coming. I feel like she's an answer to my prayers.
After she left, I sat on the couch so I could see the house from her vantage point. There was the spill of the plant (which I had not seen until she came) and the dust on the table. There was a duster on the table waiting to get that dust. And then I thought, "You should have taken her to the kitchen." She really could have spent more time there seeing the sparkle.
I mean at least there, she could have seen that beautiful sparkling bread maker!
14 comments:
How funny...I can get fixated on stuff like this too! My latest obsession is fingerprints on the microwave. NOT healthy, I'm telling you.
I need an Alice for all of the stuff I hate...baseboards, etc~
I'm so glad you found her. What a blessing for you to have that off of your very full plate.
Love,
Heather
I can really relate. In fact, I was just telling someone this morning that housekeeping doesn't come naturally to me. I do think, "I need to dust today." I have a housekeeper once a week and she cleans for 6 hours, no laundry or anything else...just cleans. I do surface stuff the rest of the the time but when Tuesday rolls around, I'm happy. Just this summer I started having a college age gal run errands for me once a week. It's made a huge difference. I don't have to spend half my weekend running around.
Wow - I must confess that I am a little jealous. :) My beloved is a wonderful mother, and wife, but she too is busy most of the time.
I have offered to hiure a 'helper' - not because of her skill level - but to help her so she would not be so stressed. She has thus far declined the offer.
I am glad you have found your Alice once more. :)
On a side note... I just can't root for your Bucs this weekend. :)
Geaux Panthers! LOL
So funny! I am glad you found someone you feel will work well with you. That will be a blessing!
My daughter in Atlanta,has house cleaners come once a week and they change the bed linens, mop all the floors, vacuum and do a good job.
Now that she has moved to a bigger house the price has doubled...She also has a nanny for the two kids come twice a week.She will wash all of their clothes and fold them up..Plus watch the kids while she runs errands.I have never had a house cleaner in my life.She is very lucky and you are blessed too..I spot clean and when company is coming over, I hide my mess any place I can find.I need to get rid of clutter... Baba
ROTFL! You're too funny! I'm not blessed enough in the $ department to hire a housecleaner, LOL, my teenaged daughter is my best bet! :o)
we use it too! And we can only recommend it!
This was so cute! Oh, how I need an Alice in my life, too!
Well now am I safe in saying that when you come here that I dont have to have things in TOP NOTCH order??? I hope not. I love my house to be picked up and in the best order that I can maintain it but sometimes it just gets ahead of me...good to know about your housekeeping abilities..makes me feel a lot more laid back about your visit in a few weeks. Sandy
That will hilarious! Like a scene from a sitcom!
what a funny post - I think I could do with a house fairy +++
Awwwwwwwww Man! I am sO jealous! I want a House Cleaning Fairy PLUS PLUS!
Is it okay to want an Alice even if you're an Alise and you stay at home??? ;-D
We're having family over for ds2's b-day today and I was really, really wishing that we had some who is GOOD at cleaning living in our house!
I tried hiring my Mom-in-law as my Alice, but there is something strange about the mil going through your stuff. I need to find a new one, especially with this new job.
Post a Comment