Today's news is filled with stories and memories of the tragedy on 9-11-01. Most of us remember well the events of that day. I am no exception. While I'll never forget what happened then, today I'm reflecting differently. I was thinking on my way to work this morning about the awesome RESPONSE to 9-11. It seemed that American Flags were more plentiful on 9-12 and beyond. They flew everywhere. It seemed that more people stood in line to donate blood, enlist in the military, and offer help in whatever way possible. The outpouring was beyond what most of us had ever seen in the United States. It was, in many ways, a beautiful reminder of the human spirit.
Today, rather than looking back, I want to look forward. I want to ask myself, "What am I doing NOW to make the world in which I live a better place?" And, "How can I respond in such a way that hatred and its wrath might not fall on those around me?"
I know I cannot stop evil in the world. It's here. It's part of our make-up. However, one of my favorite scriptures says, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." In my opinion, every American's response...and most certainly EVERY CHRISTIAN'S RESPONSE should be intentionally finding ways to do good as well as recognize and encourage it in the world. We cannot stop. We need to find ways to love and love some more.
In my opinion, it's the only way we'll ever win the battle that we all became so aware of on that day. I remember. Do you?
4 comments:
Indeed I do remember. Indeed we need to focus forward, and not back... how else can we avod tripping over things...
Learn from the past, but do not focus on it.
Truly "Love conquers all"
Susan
Oh yes...I remember that day greatly. Just like the generation or two before us remembers Pearl Harbor and what they were doing, I don't think we'll ever forget that fateful day.
But the surge of patriotism that followed was incredible, wasn't it?
I think it was a wakeup call in many ways...not the least of which is obeying Christ's command tell others about Him while we still have the chance.
Great post, Susan!
Remember and never forget!
Post a Comment