More Info About Me

Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Timeless Truth

When our boys were little we listened to The Donut Man aka Rob Evans. Evans' theme song is based on the donut. It says:

"Life without Jesus is like a donut, like a donut, like a donut. Life without Jesus is like a donut, there's a hole in the middle of your heart."

This week, DS 2 was in a position to counsel a "nonChristian" friend who is in a bit of a crisis. When he and I talked about the trouble this young person is going through, I asked him about their faith. He said, "There is none there." I sang the refrain of this song and told him that's really what it all comes down to. He agreed and said, "I know Mom. I told _____ that all day today and it just didn't get through."

I was reminded that we have many many opportunities to plant seeds into the lives of others. I'm glad my son was willing to plant this week. I know there are other people in their group of friends who have also shared the same message. Now I pray that they get to see the seed take root and start growing.

I was also reminded that the most important lessons are often those we learn in our childhood. They are, after all, the rocks we lean on when we grow up.

{Note: If you have young children (or grandchildren) and have never heard this music or the videos, I highly recommend them.}

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, they most certainly are. That's why it's so important that we, as parents, plant those seeds early on. Good job, Mom ... you planted those seeds and it shows from everything you post!

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I'll pray that your little man will be given wisdom in how to speak to his friend, and that he will be willing to speak the words God would have him to say.

That kind of thing is rough on kids. I can remember a couple of times in my own life where I knew God wanted me to say something. I also knew that I could be jeopardizing my friendship, which is a HARD thing for kids to be willing to risk!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Aww, I haven't thought of him in so long!

Melli said...

Boy, I'm PROUD of that boy! (yes... YOUR boy!) I've never heard this music - but I'll have to look into it with Little Girl coming soon...

Alise said...

I totally missed this one for some reason. I LOVE the Donut Man! We saw him year after year at Creationfest, and grew up learning the truths of God's Word through his music. One of my former pastors wrote a fair number of songs with Rob Evans and it was always a treat when he would sing a Donut Man song!

Thanks for the memories, and praise God for your son's ability to use those messages learned in his younger years as he grows.