OK, for those of you who commented about the trainer, I can keep quiet about it no longer! I've watched the trainers at the YMCA for months and thought about how much I'd like to have one. When my friend Debra mentioned doing it together, I thought it was perfect. We had our first "real" session last night.I should start by saying that Debra and I are not small women. So, when the trainer took us to the weight corner and said, "We're going to work on the core and use the weights." I thought, "OK...no big deal." But he soon added, "You'll both need a ball."
Note: I've never sat on one of these before last night, but let me just tell you I was REAL happy when I downloaded this picture just now and it was labeled "Anti-burst Exercise Ball". WHEW!
Not one to back down from a challenge, I went and got the "pretty green ball" and took it to the corner. He showed us how to sit on it and keep from falling off. Just when my tail feathers started to go into "show-off" position, he said, "Now, that you know how to SIT on the ball...you need to learn to LAY on the ball. And you have to go from one position to the other without falling off or getting up. It's just one fluid motion."
I tucked my tail feathers back in and promptly laughed at the man! He, however, was not amused. Before I could practice rolling into that silly laying position "fluidly", he put 8 pound weights in each hand and said, "We're going to use these when you are in position." (And I was happy to use the two pound weights at Aerobics the other night!) I explained that I only throw an 8 pound bowling ball..that's FOUR pounds for each hand. He laughed and said, "Not after working out with me, you won't. It'll be time to get a larger ball." (Well OK, then!)
Reminding myself that I am paying this man for the hour of entertainment he is obviously going to receive working with the two of us, and knowing the gym is crowded with plenty of people who could easily move up and down and all around on that ball, I promptly rolled myself into position
and prepared for the pain. I wish I could report that I looked as relaxed (and as flat stomached) as this man does on the ball, but I can't. I chose this photo because it best shows the position we were in for the FIRST exercise.
and prepared for the pain. I wish I could report that I looked as relaxed (and as flat stomached) as this man does on the ball, but I can't. I chose this photo because it best shows the position we were in for the FIRST exercise. There was absolutely NO easing into anything! The session was spent about 1/2 on the ball with weights and 1/2 on the machines to work the legs. Today I can tell I worked, but I'm not in pain (thank goodness). On most weeks we'll see him two days. This week, however, it's only one.
As I left the gym, I felt pretty good. But the thought that kept running through my mind was:, "We used to say, 'Keep your eye on the ball.' But now that's all going to change for me. No. My mantra has to be: 'Keep your rear on the ball.' Followed closely by: 'Keep your head on the ball!'"
I'm sure there'll be MORE blog fodder where this came from...stay tuned!!
18 comments:
Good morning Susan,I would roll off of the ball in a flash....It sounds like good exercise.Thanks for visiting my place. Have a good day at school. Baba
I'm sorry Susan, but I had an amused expression on my face as I read this entry. ;) There is nothing like paying for the pleasure of being tortured is there. In the end, you will be SO happy that you did though. Good for you on getting out of the chair and onto the ball. ;)
I also wanted to thank you for the encouragement and prayers for my up coming "Time out". A weight already feels like it's been lifted, and my weekend has not even started yet.
One last thing... opening day of the 2007 NFL season is finally here! Wahoo!
May God richly bless you and yours with a wonderful weekend filled with His presence. \o
ybiC
This could actually one-up the Suitcase Chronicles... maybe "Balancing the Ball". hee-hee. We have one of those balls in our basement. It sits right next to my BFF treadmill. I use it sometimes, but mostly it's entertainment for my kids.
Okay I have to say this blog is very amusing. I should not be laughing but I was.
I have worked out with those balls before - the whole workout - legs included.
Wait until he gets you resting your legs on it doing pushups or squats with it behind you!
Remember if he did not explain it to you - to have him explain how to pick out the right sized ball for your height as well! It really is important when attempting to balance yourself on those darn things!
Great core training though! Can't wait to get back to working out. I miss it right now.
Hugs!
Amy
Hi, I came over from "Just Three Sticks." I can identify with that ball. I had a trainer for a while, and I was really doing well until I had to have a knee replacement. I never got back to working out. Instead of sitting here reading blogs, I should go to the gym. So I will...maybe.
Sounds like a GREAT trainer. You won't regret one moment you spend on your core. Keep up the good work.
I had to do this in physical therapy and it is "NOT EASY" at all!! ARe you sore yet? You will be!! These are great core exercises!! Keep it up and you will be slim and trim...Sandy
You will love working out with a trainer and if he's a good one, he will become one of your best friends. They are a great sounding board and they really do learn your limits. I still miss my trainer Clint. He moved out of the area and it's just not the same. I really enjoyed "hanging" out with him everyday while he enjoyed "watching me suffer!!"
Those exercise balls are a real treat - you'll be amazed what those trainers can think up to do with them! Congrats on your exercise plan and your trainer!
I admire you spunk!!!
Susan
Ummmm... usually the day after is NOT the sore day. It's the 2nd day after! And be CAREFUL... 8 pound weights really IS a LOT to be starting with! And... YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm soooooooooo proud of you!!!
Good for you for getting a trainer! I've thought about doing that, but can't seem to justify the cost when I have workout DVDs at home and and a free gym at our apartment complex to use. :) Hope you see some excellent results!
(Oh, I never did post my decision about the job, but I decided not to take it. I'm very happy with the decision, and the preschool director says she wants me to check with her next year for any openings! Isn't that cool?)
OMG.. I have one of those balls upstairs.. with dust on it... is that what you are suppose to do with it...
LOL
oh, I wish I could join you.. I so need it!!!!
hehe! sounds like you have your work cut out for you! you go girl!
Oh, I wish I could go join you, too!
I so need to get back into shape...I loved how you told this story, I could picture it all! (She typed, as she finished up her Nestle Crunch bar...)
When you said "keep your head on the ball" all I could hear was "Keep you head in the game!" Chalk it up to seeing High School Musical too many times and hearing my daughter sing every song just as many...
Way to go, Susan!
Look at you Miss Thing. Looking forward to more "on the ball" reporting.
Okay, this post cracked me up, LOL! I bought one of those balls about 4 years ago, when my thyroid went out and I puffed up, LOL. I was always super skinny and gained about 50 pounds in maybe 2 months. I was determined to get rid of the weight. Ummmmm, the ball never came out of the box, LOL!!!
Post a Comment