
Katrina of Callapidder Days is once again hosting a Reading Challenge. I was so excited to see this come around again. I participated last Fall, but didn't get even half way through my list. I'm on a roll lately and want to try again this Fall. I went to my bedside table to see what books I had in my "To Be Read" pile and decided I'd pick some to get done before the challenge ends.
Here's my list:
For Nonfiction, I picked:
1. For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn. The back cover says, "This is the book about things we just don't "get" about guys." This book has been on my "list" for quite some time, although I've never purchased it. I found it in a bargain bin at Publix a few weeks ago and decided to pick up a copy.

2. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. Tom Brokaw has this to say: "Three Cups of Tea is one of the most remarkable adventure stories of our time. Greg Mortenson's dangerous and difficult quest to build schools in the wildest parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan is not only a thrilling read, it's proof that one ordinary person, with the right combination of character and determination, really can change the world." I figured this would be an excellent addition to The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns that I read earlier this year.
3. Fresh Elastic for Stretched Out Moms by Barbara Johnson. Enough said.
4. A Quiet Strength by Coach Tony Dungy. Tony has been a favorite of mine since he coached The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He is an amazing man who walks the walk. My brother read this book this summer and told me it was "must read". It's on my list.5. 3 Seconds: The Power of Thinking Twice by Les Parrott. I received this book to review this summer. I read most of it in practically no time, then put it aside. I'll finish it first and write my review as promised. I was moved by what I read. DH also read it and has shared it in his consulting work. More to come on this book.
Now on to the Fiction:
1 and 2. I'm going to finish the last two books in Karen Kingsbury's Redemption Series. I am about half way through Rejoice and then I'll finish up with Reunion. I could go on and read more about The Baxter Family after that, but think I'll put that on hold for a while.
3. Gregory Maguire's Wicked remains on my list. I have had this one on my table for quite some time as well.

4. The Penny by Jocye Meyer and Deborah Bedford is also one that caught my eye earlier this year. The back of the book has this quote: "The Penny is an emotionally gripping story that stayed with me for days. Unforgettable!...Joyce Meyer and Deborah Bedford shake up the Christian Fiction world."
Well, I may add some more. Who knows? I know I have a couple of books at school waiting to be read.
I can't wait to visit and see what others are reading. Happy Fall, Y'all!!
11 comments:
Good luck on your list. I'm not a fan of those books written for women about men. This is because my husband isn't a fan of them either. He feels that they are written too much about one man (the author) and it leaves out a large selection of male personality types.
Congrats on winning Jill's Book Bag giveaway!
Enjyo reading this list. I received a copy of 3 Seconds, too, and forgot about it. May add it if I get through my initial list!
I too have a list of books that I am either in the middle of reading, or want to read. Too often I shuffle that list for books that have too little eternal signifigance.
I was watching the NFL network after the games last night - one segment had Coach Dungy giving his post game interview. I really like him. I will add his book to my list.
Great list! I want to read Wicked as well. Perhaps I will read it for the Spring challenge (I like planning ahead). :)
We love our Coach Dungy. And Three Cups sounds really good.
Hmmmm.... I'll be back to find out about a few of these! The Penny and Three Cups Of Tea especially...
I have read Wicked by Maguire three times! LOVE that book!!! Also have read the sequel, Son of a Witch. Very good books! (The play is also fantastic!)
Good luck on your list!
I read Wicked last year, especially as the show was appearing in Chicago and I had good intentions of seeing it. It was a very fascinating book, and I hope I don't spoil a surprise for you when I mention the thing I most took away: perhaps the reason the Wicked Witch melts is that water is purification (baptism, too) and she can't hold up to it. Isn't that an intriguing though presented by the author? Also, one of my friends said to look for the Scarecrow, Lion, Tin Man in Wicked which I somehow completely missed. But, it's not too late for you!
I meant "intriguing THOUGHT" but the t was left out... :)
I just posted my list. I have been inspired by you and a few others to go ahead and take the challenge. My list isn't very long, and all of the books are sitting on my shelves... I'm really looking forward to it.
I can't wait to read your reviews. You've got some great books on that list!!
Post a Comment