
I was going to wait and review the entire Redemption Series by Karen Kingsbury and Gary Smalley. But I decided that I'd go ahead and share the first two of these five books.
Redemption is the story of Kari Baxter Jacobs who finds her husband in an adulterous affair. She decides to stay with him and fight for her marriage. This books takes the reader through the process of restoration of their marriage. But it also introduces the reader to the entire "Baxter Clan".
In the true nature of Kingsbury's books, I found this book a pleasure to read. It was a reminder that "Love is a decision". It also is a beautiful story of letting go of the past and moving forward with grace while dealing with the loves and losses that sometimes define our lives.
The second book in the five-book series is Remember. This continues Kari's story while really digging into her sister, Ashley's story. It also introduces the reader more deeply to her brother, Luke. Ashley spent time in Paris and came back pregnant with her son, Cole. She is a bitter woman who has pretty much shut down her faith. Luke, on the other hand, is extremely faith-filled, but also judgmental.
In this book, they literally "switch roles" as they each encounter the tragedies of 9-11-01. Kingsbury and Smalley do a great job of making us consider what it would have been like to watch this event from New York City and/or take part in the aftermath.
The next three books in this series are: Return, Rejoice and Reunion. I'm going to go ahead and continue reading about this family and their faith journey. It's a pleasure to read faith stories that are not contrived, but real. These are people with real issues, real questions and real lives. It's refreshing to read.
What I don't know is if I'll continue with the second and third series that continue this family's saga. Kingsbury continued their story in The Firstborn series and is currently adding the The Sunrise Series. I'm going to decide as a I go.
9 comments:
Good morning Susan,the books you are reading sound very interesting.I will have to check them out at the book store.Thanks for visiting my place and leaving a comment. Baba
oh my... I read those series.. and actually just finished the last one ... summer...
they are the best...
I cried like a baby....
love them...
These sound interesting. I'm intrigued by the fact that Gary Smalley is co-authoring on these. I'd say that would bring in a great deal of expertise on family relationship issues.... Will have to watch for these. Thanks for great book reviews!
This sounds like an interesting series. I'm glad to hear it not contrived. That has usually been my pet peeve about "Christian" fiction. It always seemed mushy to me therefore I quit reading it.
I may have to check into these.
I have noted this series. One of my most favorite Christian series were the ones written by Janette Oaks...Love Comes Softly. I absolutely loved those. The one that you have mentioned here sounds like a 21st century version of these...dealing with real issues for today's generation...while maintaining the threads of Christianity. I look forward to reading the first book. Thanks.
I am reading Sunrise. I feel like I know the Baxters personally after all these books!
Wow! This sounds like the story of my next door neighbor's life! I wonder if she's ever read these books?! (I wonder if she WROTE them!) Amazing...
I've read all these books, and I enjoyed them a lot. I have to say with the "S" series, I am feeling a little tired of this family. I haven't bought Summer yet--I will though.
Ironic--i just picked up one of these tag-team books yesterday at the library.
Post a Comment