If you've read my blog for any time at all, then you know that I don't cook. I really don't like to do it unless I really have time to plan. But I DO like to look at cookbooks. Go ahead and analyze that and let me know what you figure out.I got a new Taste of Home cookbook recently and DS 4 enjoyed looking through it. For some reason, he was drawn to an Apple Dumpling recipe. He said, "We should make this together." I said, "OK, but not tonight." That was three nights ago. Last night, I asked him to decide if he wanted to make the dumplings or do something else. I forget what the "something else" was, but he chose that. I was, once again, off the dumpling hook.
Tonight he walked into the Family Room and said, "Aren't you going to make the dumplings for me?" Huh??? FOR you? I thought this was supposed to be "together time". BUT, I am also a Mom of four boys who knows that sometimes you CAN do things better (or at least quicker) alone. He told me he wanted me to make them so he could eat them. And I took him up on it.
As I started to mix the dough, I found myself praying: "Lord, please let this work!" I mean, how hard can it be to put shortening, flour, salt, and a little water together? The truth is, I KNOW how hard it can be--for me! I tried to bake Grandma's pie crust one year and failed. So I stirred and I prayed. This is kind of how it went:
2 cups of flour/1 tsp. salt/2/3 c. of shortening--"stir until crumbles form"--{Stir}{Stir}{Fold}{Fold}"Puhleaze!! Come on crumbles!" {Stir} {Stir} {Fold} {Smash}{Stir} "All I need is little crumbles! Please let it start to crumble." {Stir}{Smash}{Turn the Bowl}{Pray}{Stir} And as this continued, I suddenly started to see little flour/shortening balls form. I breathed a sigh of relief. "Half way there," I thought. I found my confidence increasing.
Add 4-5 tbs. of cold tap water until a large dough ball forms. It was at this point, that I nearly LOST it. I DID add 4 - 5 tbs. of cold water and NOTHING seemed to happen. I was stirring, praying, hoping, but it didn't look any different. I was still staring at small crumbles. So, I started adding one or two drops of water at a time and stirring AND praying AND questioning WHY I even started this project!
Then, suddenly, with the addition of ONE drop of water, I found I could make it into a huge dough ball. ONE drop of water made all the difference.
As I sit here watching my DS 4 eating his dumplings, I can't stop thinking about the miracle of the water drop. Now I know it took all the ingredients before that. But it was that final drop that made something out of what appeared to be nothing.
Aren't we like that? Have you ever had one seemingly insignificant event or conversation forever change you? Have you ever BEEN the drop of water that changed someone else? And I'm wondering just how many times I've given up on something just BEFORE the water droplet appeared and changed things?
May we all find ways to bring positive water droplets of change into our own lives and the lives of others. And may those of us who are on the verge of change not give up until the water comes. Because I believe that one drop of water just might change the world!
14 comments:
Wow, you always have such a beautiful way of putting things into perspective. Yes, that one drop really does make a difference! I find that alot in so many aspects of my life. :o)
Really wonderful and very insightful post, Susan. Yes, we never know what just one more drop might do!!!
Drip.
Drip.
Drip.
Each Christ centered blog that I read on your site and others like it all make a difference in my life.
Thanks for letting Him make you into His little drops of water.
An excellent post Susan! I do enjoy reading your blog!
Nice analogy... and very true. But it isn't always easy to know what God wants us to do in certain situations.
Should we talk to so and so about Jesus? Would he/she even listen?
Does God really understand what I am going through in _ situation?
Sometimes we see the definitive water droplet but many times we do not. That's why I like the following so much:
Proverbs 3:5-6 " Trust in Jehovah with all thy heart, And lean not upon thine own understanding: In all thy ways acknowledge him, And he will direct thy paths."
Amen!
Wow...this was so insightful and so true.
It's an image that will stay with me...a wonderful analogy!
Blessings, Linda!
What great thoughts Susan and so true- I love it when God uses everyday happenings to make us think - thanks for sharing it
Susan, that is beautiful. We all need to be aware of how much difference that "one" drop can make. Sometimes for the good but sometimes it may be hurtful too, especially if the drop was a hurtful word.
You have been an encouraging drop in my life and I appreciate it so much.
Have a blessed day.
This is such a great lesson. I've been thinking a lot lately about all the times I've been forgiven and guess that could parallel the "final drop". Have a wonderful day!
What a great analogy Susan! I am glad it worked out well, and thanks for helping me to see that great life application! Also, I tagged you today if you would like to play along!
Susan, great analogy!! But here we need a WHOLE bunch of drops of water!! I know where you are going with this but boy do we need RAIN here!! The smoke from those fires has come to Savannah. They smell awful and well I just have been wondering if it is this bad here what is it like there in Waycross? Man it must be just awful!!
I love apple dumplings but I am sure my weight would not like them right now. I knew you could do it. Like me..I do not like to cook either. Sandy
You are amazing! You just see the miracles in EVERYthing! I think you are that drop of water more often than you will ever know!
That is an amazing thing. Thank you for sharing that story. It gave me a moment to stop and think.
Have a blessed weekend.
I love the way you wrote this! I have never been able to think beyond the obvious....my mind has never been able to wrap around metaphors and analogies except when written by other people. And I can't tell you how happy I am that someone else is brave enough to admit not being able to cook. A lifetime ago I used to cook three meals a day and make fabulous down home southern meals...because I 'had' to. Early on in this marriage I claimed to be cooking challenged and it seems as though it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I actually tried to bake an out of the box cake last weekend and as I was icing it, it split right down the middle then the top slipped off....my husband called it the 'volcano cake'as it seemed as though chocolate ising was just oozing from every crevice as it continued to split all over.
Post a Comment