More Info About Me

Friday, May 11, 2007

The Great Sock Mystery

OK, several of you asked for it, so here is the Sock Story. I think I have one of those washers (or is the dryer?) that eats socks. I buy the kids socks. Really, I do. I buy myself socks. Yet, every so often we'll have a day like my DS 4 had the other day. It's as if suddenly all of his socks have disappeared.

I'll confess, the first morning he told me he didn't have any. I did not go in his room to see if they had migrated to the wrong drawer. In our morning frenzy, I had him put on "yesterday's pair"...it was then that I noticed even THIS pair was mismatched and a tad dirty! (He IS, after all, my FOURTH boy--and you do things with fourth children that you would have never done with the first ones.)

Yesterday was the "second day" of missing socks. Knowing that the first pair was ready to be able to walk on its own...and that it was mismatched anyway, I put on my "good Mommy" hat and did go in and look for a pair. Admittedly, when I went to his room, I went with the "If-I-go-in-there-and-find-them-you're-in-BIG-TROUBLE-BUSTER-!" attitude. (I learned this from MY Mother!) Alas, I searched the drawers. I found two of MY socks. Two of DH's socks. And several singles of the older boys' socks. But, there WERE NO 8-year-old socks!

I went to DS 2's room, as his sock drawer has been a catch-all for the socks that appear to be matchless in the past. NOTHING.

I went to DS 3's room. NOTHING. DS 1's room...well....I couldn't GO THERE! I assume, though, that if he had socks that were too little, he'd be throwing them outside his door.

So, I threw my hands in the air and announced to DH, "HE HAS no socks! I don't know where they are!" DS 4 and I headed out for Walmart bright and early yesterday morning (thank goodness for 24 hours) and remedied the missing sock situation. I bought THREE PACKS for him.

Where do they go? It's a complete mystery to me. One of my coworkers told me yesterday that she thinks boys get their socks so dirty that they simply disintegrate! I'm beginning to think that COULD be true.

So, how long until you think I'm back at Walmart replacing more missing socks????

12 comments:

The Bass Player's Wife said...

Too funny!
Leo Buscaglia once wrote something about socks being the larval stage of coat hangers. I think he might be onto something-- do you happen to have extra coat hangers around?

Susan said...

Oh yes.....missing socks and multiplied coat hangers!!! Let us know how long the 3 packages last!!

Connie Barris said...

I am rolling on the floor laughing with tears flowing from my eyes because I KNOW....
i LIVE THIS WORLD...

Connie Barris said...

I wasn't through talkin'

I got so excited I hit some button and it took off....

I know that little boys well, the have that "dirty dog smell" but you love them anyway...

and their socks.... they do disintegrate...or run away...I believe that theory also.

And I'm laughing on you not going their on your oldest son's room... yea... well, nuff said

this was a great post....

we need socks..

Robin Green said...

Very funny--I think we can all relate. I KNOW my washer eats socks--it has too! I keep a gallon size freezer bag in one of my dresser drawers and that's where we place all the socks without partners when we are folding laundry--the bag is never empty, but I do occasionally find a match for one. I hope your 3 pkgs last a long time. Good luck to you!

Jill said...

Thanks for the details on this mystery. This happens to me except I know my one-year old's socks are all at daycare because he takes them off. I am too lazy to comb the lost and found. Honestly, I'm just thankful his shoes make it home each day. Thank goodness warm weather is here. I've ditched the need for socks for at least 4 months!

Momma Roar said...

This was great: "He IS, after all, my FOURTH boy--and you do things with fourth children that you would have never done with the first ones."

Sooo true!!

Leigh Ann

samurai said...

I think WalMart is actually in on the missing socks issue! I bet the socks they sell disapear after five washings. ;)

God Bless and have a wonderful weekend!

Melli said...

I buy my kids 2 packs each every 3 months! I can actually make MINE last about 6 months before they've all gone missing! Socks are one of the GREAT mysteries of life! It's one of the things I REALLY want to ask God about when I catch him "in person"!

Heather said...

Can I just say that it is NOT just boys who do this with socks?

I'm at that point in life that I had to start laundry marking the socks--the only one's I could tell for sure were the baby's and dh's!

I figure once M gets big enough, I'm just going to buy dozens and dozens of socks that all look exactly alike--we can all share and I won't have to worry about the "orphans"!

Thanks for the giggle.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

That reminds me that I need to YET AGAIN go buy bigger socks for my little guy. He's growing so fast!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's the sock thief, LOL!! We have those here, too! LOL! I think we all need to put little alarms on them every so often... if for nothing else but to find where they actually go to hide out, LOL.