I visited Susan at Penless Writer and was moved by this post. She had read another blogger's post called, A Multi-faceted Beauty. The post moved Susan and it moved me. He talked about the Body of Christ and our unique place in it. He posed the question: "What one word most defines you in the Body of Christ?".
The original blogger noted that "truth" described him and "worship", his wife. Susan says she knew immediately that "the Word" defined her, and "belief" described her husband. Susan challenged her readers to share what their "word" is.
I wanted to respond, truly I did, I just couldn't. You see, I'm a bit like the window that doesn't have clear glass in it. I know that the light DOES pass through me...and I know that I have a purpose to be a "window" to demonstrate Christ's love to others...it's just a bit filmy right now. It's not that it's "unclean"...it's simply not clear.
My Christian walk took a BIG right turn at the beginning of this year. For 20 years I have been a Pastor's Wife. I "knew" my place in the body of Christ. I have been a Sunday School teacher, Bible Study leader, Women's Ministry participant, Children's Church Coordinator, and even the Choir Director. When DH left the full-time pastorate for coaching and consulting in January, we ended up in a new church. For the first time in a really long time, we are just like everyone else who sits in the seats on Sunday. And for the first time, I am finding that I need to really examine what it is that GOD wants me to do and where He wants me to go.
And, although, Susan has asked me twice now to chew on that post and come up with a word, I simply can't...YET! I revisited my New Year's post that talks about praying for a word for the new year (thank you, Heather and Amy)and I was reminded that this year's word(s) for me were MOLD ME. How quickly we forget!?!?
As I sat around and sulked about not being able to "immediately put my finger on a word" in response to Susan's post...one of my favorite worship songs kept arising in my heart:
When the music fades, And all is stripped awayYou see, I think that God's doing something new with me. He is showing me that I have to change my heart and my mind when I think about my service to Him. It's new for me. He's taking my window and doing what He needs to do with it. And I can't wait to see the result!
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You It's all about You Jesus
King of endless worth
No one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is Yours
Every single breath
I'll bring You more than just a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of
worship
And it's all about You All
about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You Jesus Its all about you Jesus!
12 comments:
Oh Susan that was so beautiful!!! I love that song we sang it in church this past Sunday. It's so nice to know it's His work and His purposes and all He asks of us is to be willing. You are more than willing that is clear.
Thanks so much for this.
(((hugs)))
Susan
Susan this was such an awesome post - I love that song too. I too feel like God is doing something new with me! Terrific, terrific, terrific!
I would never be able to come up with a word for myself. Impossible. Thanks for stopping by....take care. sandy
Thank you for sharing your heart, Susan. I can relate so much for needing to find that "place" where God wants me. He led us to change churches last fall and I have been so incredibly blessed in that...but where does He want me to serve and what are His plans for me? I'm still unclear, too...except to know His plans are good ones.
Wonderful post!
When I got to the question while reading this post, I stopped! I thought and I thought and I thought and I wouldn't let myself read further because I didn't want to be swayed by anything else you had to say. So I thought and I thought and I thought. And I couldn't come up with a word either. So then I went ahead and read your post!
I'm feeling a little murky myself right now... in some areas. But God is working! He's probably sending messages too - but I'm a bit of a slow reader! LOL! Pastor Paul and I are going to see if we can make heads or tails of some of it today! I'm looking forward to that!
God is certainly working in you, Susan! And it will become clear to you -- in His time! I can't wait to see what He's doing too!
Come on and play ... tag you are it...
smile
Connie
Yeah. I understand where you're coming from. I don't know my word quite yet either. We'll get it. We will!
Hi Susan - Had to come check out the comments you were getting. God is mighty at work!!
Important to remember that our "function-job" in the Church we attend is not what my post had in mind but where we are in our walk with the Lord.
Our "duties" within the local church do not define us. Our relationship with our Savior defines us.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.
Susan
I wouldn't be able to come up with one word right now, either. For me, it's one of those things that will come when it does. Loved your post!
I really enjoy that song, because it really is all about Him. No matter how we worship Him it is all about Him, and all for Him.
May He vividly reveal His plan for you and your family as you move through this time of transition, and may it come to pass quickly. :)
Would "renewal" be a good one for the stage you're in?
Love love love this post, Susan.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Post a Comment