More Info About Me

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #48


Thirteen Things SUSAN Has Done or Thought This Week

1. If, "when your time comes", you've left good stories in the lives of those with whom your path has crossed, then you've "done good". This was evident with the steady stream of people who came to pay their last respects to my Uncle and story after story told the goodness, kindness, and compassion of this man.


2. I love that people going the OPPOSITE way stop to let the funeral procession pass. What respect!


3. The next time my Dad asks me, "Why would you read a stranger's blog?" I'm going to answer...."Because they just might become a special friend." My Uncle was connected to the pogo.com community. The email and messages sent by his "online friends" were unbelievable! Again, there were stories of compassion, love and care beyond what any of us ever knew.


4. I keep thinking about the song, "For Good" from the musical "Wicked". My favorite line comes to mind when I think about my Uncle:
It well may be / That we will never meet again / In this lifetime / So
let me say before we part / So much of me is made of what I learned from you /You'll be with meLike a handprint on my heart


5. I miss my boys.

6. I miss my DH. He was traveling before I left. I got to see him for about 2 hours then I had to leave. He leaves again Monday. I'll get home on Saturday...I'm looking forward to that time.

7. I am enjoying the visits with extended family; I just wish the circumstances were different.

8. My Uncle's life was a shining example of the marriage vows that we take "For better or worse, In sickness and in health." Over the past few years, he has had to endure the illness of my Aunt...and he did it with grace and dignity.

9. Even though my family is "close", there are branches that are very distant. I wonder how and why that happens.

10. A friend of my other Uncle's paid my DH a huge compliment and I was so proud. I love when you find out just how far the seeds you plant reach.

11. They played a CD of Alan Jackson singing old hymns at the funeral home...it was beautiful. My Uncle LOVED country music.

12. I also loved how the funeral home made it so personal. They had photo boards set up and created a CD of photos for the family. They ran that in the corner of the room throughout the night. It was very touching.

13. We start our drive home tomorrow and I'm ready to go. I'm going to be riding with my two brothers and my Mother. Now, if you knew us IRL, you'd know it probably will be a trip filled with laughter and retelling of family stories. In a strange way, I'm looking forward to it.

14 comments:

Jane said...

Susan, I know what you mean. Funerals are not happy but when the person you lost is a person of faith, you know you will meet again.
When my FIL died nearly 11 years ago, I remember going back to my in-laws house after the funeral and my hubbys three best friends since childhood come over and they sat and told stories about growing up and the things my FIL did with them and to them. The laughter was so healing.
I pray you have a safe drive home and a wonderful time of laughter and healing with your family.

samurai said...

I have often thought that it is good to expose my children to the occasional funeral. Not to lecture them, but for them to see that such things do happen.

Praying for God's hand to continue to be upon you and your family.

P.S. - I love the words from the song you quoted. Very thought provoking.

Susan said...

Wonderful and oh so true points. Your uncle sounds like a Godly man who had a full, godly life.

Jill said...

This just gave me goose-bumps (good ones!) as I read this. What a special 13 this is!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful list! I hope you have a safe and enjoyable time on your trip home!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

These are special times even though it is a funeral that brings everyone together. It is awful that this has to be the way to do it!! Great memories!! That is what we will always carry in our hearts. Have safe travels back home. Sandy

Sharon Bardwell said...

Susan, your comments were the inspiration for my post today. Stop by if you get at chance. The title is "Are You Going To The Reunion?"

You and your family are still in my prayers. Have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...

Very nice list, Susan. A nice way to reflect after this past week. I hope y'all have a safe trip home.

Connie Barris said...

What a beautifully written list today.. Your Uncle would be (actually he is) so proud as he is standing before our Jesus..Face-to-Face

Be safe... and I'll be praying...

We'll all be glad to have you back home...

Connie

Sue Seibert said...

Good thoughts. I enjoyed reading them.

Tammy said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt list, Susan. God bless are you travel home to be with your husband and sons again! (((HUGS)))

Lynn said...

Thanks Susan for remembering Dad on your blog this week. Your dad also gave an awesome eulogy on Dad's life and his love for his big brother. I cannot believe that a week has already passed.....The Alan Jackson cd was one that he'd copied for me last fall. The music played during calling hours were from the CDs we found in his truck as well as the last one in it's cd player. I miss him so much. I love you. I hope you all have a safe and memorable journey home.

Melli said...

Funerals are so sad... but don't you always here people say "I want people to PARTY at my funeral!" I really REALLY do hope that when I die people will rejoice for the life I had! I really HOPE that! I gave the eulogy at my brothers funeral, and I knew that he would NOT want people crying... so I made them laugh!

It sounds like your uncles funeral was nice -- I love Alan Jackson - I'm sure the songs were great! I hope the ride home was just like you thought it would be!

Robin Green said...

So sorry for you loss. I know you are sad, but have the right focus.