More Info About Me

Monday, April 09, 2007

Monday Thinking....


Do you notice other cars? How about dirty ones? I don't really watch cars. I've decided that men and boys are "wired" to know makes and models without much thought. Even my 8 year old can tell me makes and models that I haven't a clue about! I often hear one of them say, "That's a SWEET car!" Now, I do KNOW a Lexus or a BMW or Mercedes when I see one. It could be because I live in a town that is FULL of them. But, most of the time, I really pay little or no attention. Saturday, though, I noticed cars.

Mine (a Honda Odyssey) needed a wash in the worst way. It was dusted with pollen that is so prevalent in our area at this time of year. It was nearing the point where someone might have written "WASH ME" on a window or two. I forgot to ask for the car wash with my last fill-up, so I thought I'd wait until the next time I gassed up. With my tank almost full, I started thinking of all the places I needed to go. I admit that I was thinking about "just taking another one to church on Sunday" so no one would see my dusty car.

Contemplating this in the Target parking lot on Saturday, I looked around at all the Lexus's, BMWs, and Mercedes' that bordered my car. And many of them were also DIRTY. Then I thought, "You know, dirt is dirt. It simply doesn't 'look good' on any car--regardless of price." And I doubt any of my kids would have deemed any of the dirty ones "sweet cars".

And then I thought...everything (and everyone) gets "dirty" sometimes. Whether its tangible property, or with our own lives, everything gets smudged. Usually, though, it's nothing a good wash won't fix. We just have to take the TIME to do it.

Yesterday was Easter. Many of us were in church learning about the ultimate "washing of our souls". And while I sat inside enjoying another Sunday worship, my car, freshly washed, sat in the parking lot. Dare I say, we were BOTH satisfied!?! OR SWEET!?!?!

Happy Monday!!

9 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Great symbolism here!! We are washed whiter than snow. GREAT! Especially yesterday being Easter!! Hope your Monday is as wonderful..Sandy

Lazy Daisy said...

Sweet post. It's sad that many people are more concerned about the car they drive than the condition of their souls. Thanks for the "tune up".

Unknown said...

Praise God for the blood of the Lamb!! Wonderful analogy here!

Blessings to you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Great post! So very true. Everything eventually catches some dust in life. It's how we go about dealing with and cleaning that dust off that matters.

Anonymous said...

Good post! I agree with you on the men/cars thing. I don't really notice them or care about them that much, but my husband and son do! Thanks for getting me thinking this morning!

Melli said...

I'm SO glad to hear your car was washed - because really - on EASTER the whole world should be clean and fresh! And... do you know... almost nobody at my church was dressed up for Easter. I was a little disappointed. NOT because I was the only one in a pretty hat -- other than the children! Parents take great PRIDE in making their children look adorable for Easter. But I was just sorry that VERY few adults took the time to gussie themselves up for the Lord. I saw some people that looked like they were going to a baseball game instead of coming to give thanks and praise that Jesus Christ had RISEN! And maybe God is just so happy to have people even attend church these days that He doesn't really care what they wear... but I just think that "cleaning up" for Easter is a sign of respect. Don't you?

Anyway -- I also wanted to tell you that your car reminded me that Shawn (the gal who always gives our Children's Teaching) had used the "full service" from the gas station in her analogy on Thursday night - regarding the Last Supper - and that Jesus was giving the Full Service to us by instituting "communion" and offering us His body and blood to bring us closer to Him. And in doing this, she had donned a cap and had a gas can and a rag - and was showing the children the FULL service - fill your tank, clean your windshield - fill your heart, wash away your sins! It was cute!

Melli said...

Oh... I'm working on my list of Thinking Bloggers right now.... I had run over to get your addy for the link-up!

Girl Raised in the South said...

I struggle to wash our car more than twice a year, seriously. As long as it starts, never breaks down and gets up our driveway in snow I'm good with it - whatever it is. Its simply my traveling office. Thankfully I do confess and ask forgiveness more often than I give my car a cleaning or I'd be in big trouble.

Anonymous said...

SWEET! What a wonderful post! I love the way you are able to relate things. Are you a teacher or something?? :) LOL!

It's so fun to come over here to learn more about you and learn more about me.