More Info About Me

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #46


I often dream of what I'd do if MONEY were no object. In "celebration" of "tax week"...I thought I'd share my dreams as part of my Thursday Thirteen. So, here is what SUSAN would do if she had "extra" money (in no particular order):
1. Be a philanthropist. This is a huge dream of mine. I'd love to have a pot of money that I could just use to grant other people's dreams. I love the thought that "ordinary hard-working" people could have their wishes met.
2. Adopt an inner city child (or children) in a mentoring relationship. I'd like to fund their college and extra-curricular activities.
3. Hop in an RV and travel America by back roads. I'd love to visit all the nooks and crannies of our great country over the course of a year or two.
4. Travel the world.
5. Provide more grants for teachers. DH and I have been blessed to be able to fund two small grants yearly for teachers...I'd start a foundation, though, that would give classroom grants for things teachers are spending their own hard-earned money for.
6. Fund school for children in a third-world country. I saw Simon Cowell show the "School in a Box" last night for the African children and I couldn't believe it! $180 funds school for an entire year for (I think) 8 children.
7. Set up a "nest egg" for each one of our children.
8. Support more long and short term missions projects. (We already are blessed to be able to do this for our boys and a couple of friends' children.)
9. Go to more theater productions and concerts.
10. Buy a new luxury car...sorry...I know it's a bit materialistic, but I DO like the "rides" in a couple of them.
11. Fund a uniform closet and classroom libraries in every classroom of a school with limited resources. Our kids get ONE shirt (in some cases) and wear it until it's thread-bare sometimes. And classroom libraries are limited or non-existent. I hate that.
12. Celebrate a renewal of our Wedding Vows with an entire soiree...dinner and dancing with family and friends.
13. Build my dream house in the Mountains.

9 comments:

Robin Green said...

Wow, you want to do such noble things. I would love to be a philanthropist as well. One of the small things that B. and I like to do is pay for someone's dinner or dessert at a restaurant without them knowing about it. It is a fun thing to watch someone you don't know find out that their meal is covered--and to do it anonymously! It is great that you would want that car and home--you would deserve it after all your giving!

Daniel said...

Hey if you accomplish this goal.. especially the nest egg then I will be able to do this to. :)


Daniel

Susan said...

Boy Susan what a wonderful post. I loved reading your answers. I think most of us that truly love the Lord want to do good things for other needy people and things.

By the way I've been blessed to do two of your thirteen.

#3 My husband and I traveled the US and Canada in a 30' 5th Wheel for 4 years. We visited every state and every providence except NW Territory and Newfoundland. We had done Hawaii earlier on our 20th anniversary. Didn't drive there!! hehe

#13 Mickey and I renewed our wedding vows at 30 years and our kids were our attendants and our only grandchild (at that time) was our flower girl. We had not had a "wedding" when we got married and this was so fun and such a blessing for us.

Now you have to remember I'm a lot older than you so you'll probably have some of these done without a windfall by the time you're 69!!

By the way, you ought to tag someone to do this it's such a neat idea.

Unknown said...

Wouldn't that be wonderful to be able to do those things? I often dreamed what I would do if I was able.....it is always good to dream. I think dreaming helps us find what we CAN do.
I love the new family photo. What a wonderful looking family.
Regards to your DH and boys.

Baba said...

Susan,....Thanks for stopping by my TT today.I would like to travel in a RV across the USA.My husband thinks that it is like camping...he would not enjoy!!! My thanks and love go out to you and all teachers..
Baba

Mary Jo said...

That's some awesome stuff, Susan! I think it's wonderful all of the work you'd love to do for children!

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to have a luxury car - you go girl! ;o)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful list! You have such a heart of gold. That's something money can't even buy! :o)

I wish I had all that money too ~ I could *match* ya for all the charity givings. Wouldn't that be neat ~ a bunch of bloggers matching each other in charity. What a difference we could make.

Just read what Daniel said in his comments ~ you've raised him right! :o)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful list!

I would love for someone to help teachers with their class libraries. My cousin buys all her own books and shares with her students. Amazing!

Melanie said...

What a giving person you are! Most of what you would do is give to others. If only everyone thought this way about what they would do with extra money.