More Info About Me

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Opinions Please....

I know of a young man who is in a bit of a quandry. Let me see if I can generically lay out a scenerio...then ask for your feedback to share...

Boy and girl have been "best friends" for years...and started dating not long ago. Boy and girl have dated steadily and only each other for several months. Girl breaks up with boy two weeks prior to the High School prom. Regrets her decision and wants boy to still take her to the prom as friends.

Does he take her knowing that he is not planning to reunite with her? Does he go as "friends"? Does he not take her to make sure there are no mixed messages? Will she (because of the "female" in her) believe that there's a glimmer of hope for reconciliation when there may be none? Is it possible for a girl to not "hope" in such a situation?

I may delete this post later on...so I'm hoping that some of you read it and share your opinions before its gone.

6 comments:

Momma Roar said...

How does boy want to remember situation 10-20 years from now?
a) that he took a good friend and had a fun time with many memories to cherish or,
b) that he lost that opportunity.

I would hope that the years spent as friends would outweigh the dating months - and that friendship will stay strong.

I also hope that if he made himself clear, then she might understand.

Just my $.02.

Anonymous said...

Well, for me, I wouldn't take the girl only because I wouldn't want to send mixed signals.

I tend to question alot of things/people (I know, not good, LOL) but ... it makes me wonder if she's being genuine or is just *needing* someone to take her to the prom so *she* won't miss out.

I know they were good friends before they started dating but once you cross that line ... things change. How is their relationship as friends now that they've broken up? I guess that would play alot into it ... and the reson they broke up would, as well.

samurai said...

Speaking from a guys perspective - and based of memories from my High School days... I do not think he should take her.

When I was that young I was confused about so many things. This back and forth thing is not a good thing IMO.

I do believe the young man should maintain his friendship (as such as it is currently), but something like the prom is not just a group of friends going out to hang out. It is seen as a pretty big event.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Something similar happened to me before my high school prom. We broke up, but he still took me. We got back together afterwards, though, so I'm not sure if my situation is helpful!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

If he's not heart-sick heart-broken, then maybe it's OK. If either of them is in that state, it's probably not a good idea. Or if one is really angry with the other. I'd like to know how it works out.

kt said...

Sigh...I am probably the most UNpopular vote....these things (dances/proms) usually, even if unintentionally come w/ a pretty high 'romantic quotient'...I don't see how a 'used to be a couple' can really go as 'just friends' in such a situation.

I say skip the Prom altogether & go to Disneyland. lol Be a REBEL! Don't conform. Stay home & watch a movie w/ lots & lots of buttery popcorn w/ bits of licorice mixed in it....WITH the parents! That's what REAL freinds would do, right? ;-)

I am totally against teenage dating, dances & PROMS! (that is the UNpopular vote-part lol)