And words can sometimes hurt me!
Have you ever been at the receiving end of hurtful words? This happened to me last night. It wasn't a family member or really even a "dear" friend. It was someone who I know very little about. Still, she hurled words that hurt in response to something I said.
My first reaction, I admit, was to throw some words right back. I kind of stuck my claws out for a minute ready to respond with some of the thoughts that were running around my head that moment. Instead of stooping (this time), though, I decided to reflect on her words.
This is definitely one of my downfalls. I ponder. I "reflect". And quite honestly, sometimes I sink lower in my "woe is me" pity party when I do so. It's kind of like the puppy who sits and licks a wound. I play those words over and over in my head and soon, like most of us, I start to internalize them. This is ineffective at best. It's one of those human nature responses that can whittle away at our sense of self. While the words are still in my head...I am working to follow the advice of a long-ago pastor: "If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, DON'T!"
I realized something though. We all sling hurtful words about sometimes. One of Dh's sermons that will always stick in my mind is "Words that Hurt/Words that Heal".
How many times do words go flying off my tongue that I wish I could reach out and grab back? Last night, though it hurt, was a gentle reminder just how powerful our words are. They can bite and sting.
May we all "throw" some "Words that Heal" someone's way today and refrain from those "Words that Hurt"...because even when we are well-intentioned, they CAN hurt!!
5 comments:
I think it takes more strength to not respond back in kind to someone who is hurting us verbally.
Sorry you had to go through that. I understand your frustration.
I think you are WONDERFUL!
Have a great weekend!
Thanks for your kind words, Mary! It is VERY HARD to keep your mouth shut when you want to sling back....This is a battle that I sometimes lose!
I think you are WONDERFUL, too!!
I have both of those tendencies....to internalize and sink....but also to sling right back....I believe we both come by that trait honestly;-)
My dad called tonight and I've put your dad on our prayer list. Write or call if you need to.
love you,
Lynn
Susan, I am proud of you for taking the high road. It is not easy to do. Like you, my first thought is to strike back. I have heard that the evangelist of years ago, Billy Sunday, said: "God told us to turn the other cheek, but after that He gave no further instructions"!
Your reaction was certainly one that exhibited your faith.
(p.s. I wrote this yesterday and thought I posted it on your site but evidently I didn't, SO I am doing it again today!!!)
Susan, Since meeting you I can see that you would react just like that...good for you. I am SO ENJOYING this time in VA. Melli is also with us. She decided to follow us home here with Daisy and God was so good!! He kept her safe!! Her brakes went out just as we pulled into the little town here where Daisy lives. Just think what might have happened IF she had decided to go on home back to home on the highway...God really really cares for us. I am so thankful!! Have a great weekend...Sandy
Post a Comment