More Info About Me

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

More Geometry Lessons...

As I stated in my last post, DS 3 was struggling with Geometry last night. He is in the 7th grade. I took Geometry in the 8th grade and I did HORRIBLE!! I remember struggling and never understanding its relevance to me or the rest of the world, for that matter. I admitted this to DS 3 and I guess DS 4 overheard.

This morning, as DS 4 and I rode to school, he seemed puzzled. He finally spoke up and said, "Mom, you didn't understand Geometry when you were a kid?" I told him that was right. He said, "And you still don't understand it very well?" I said, "That's right." Then, he paused a long time. Finally, he said, "Mom, you do 'get it' at my level, don't you? I mean, you DO understand squares, triangles and circles, right?"

I assured him that 2nd grade Math was within my capabilities...and that I DO know what a circle, triangle, and square is. He simply replied, "Good!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a funny story. I've always been much better with words than I ever was with numbers. I know it's important to do well in school, but I honestly believe that you don't need to be proficient in Geometry/Algebra/Calculus unless you're going to be a Geometry/Algebra/Calculus teacher! :)

Anonymous said...

S..That "little" mind never ceases to amaze me. You just can't ever be surprised at what comes from it..right??!! Gotta love him..and we all do!!
LY...C

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Way to go Susan...smile!! That is me all right. I do know the circle, squares and etc but that is about it when it comes to geometry. i can spell it too!! ha..better with words and English than with Math... Sandy

Jane said...

LOL.....ROTFL.....That is absolutely hysterical. He wanted to make sure his mom wasn't stupid!!! I am sure he was greatly relieved!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha - I love when kids say things like that! :) My two youngest have both told me that I am the best at ________. I love that, but then my wife comes along to ensure my head does not swell too much! :)