One Saturday morning, I took my four-year-old DS 4 to purchase the pet. He proudly brought this little furry rabbit to school on Monday. By Monday afternoon the teacher called and let us know that the preK director had informed her that they are NOT allowed to have "permanent pets" in the classroom. We were told the bunny could visit, but could not stay.
So, we brought the bunny home.
That was SEVEN years ago! The bunny is STILL here.
I am no animal hater. I love them. I even had a bunny as a classroom pet when I taught Kindergarten one year. But they are messy. Really messy! Their cages smell when not cleaned regularly. Heck they smell when they ARE cleaned regularly! To say I was not thrilled about bringing this little furry critter home is an understatement. A HUGE understatement!
DS 4 is definitely an animal LOVER to the nth degree! Even as a young toddler, he would sit for hours in the babysitter's house helping care for young kittens, an abandoned baby squirrel, and a pet monkey. He loves them. He was thrilled that the bunny was going to be HIS to love, and hold, and care for....everyday. (I'm sure you know the drill.)
As a side note: I have a friend at work who's MIL gave her son a bunny---without consulting the parent. I'm sure there's a whole lot to be interpreted there. Anyway, she brought a book to school about bunnies and told me that their lifespan is about 10 years.
Fast forward to last week. DS 4 came to my DH and me and said, "Button's not eating or drinking. We need to get him to a vet." I have to say that taking these critters to the vet is not always my first thought. I mean they are little cage animals. They are not supposed to have huge lifespans. And, quite honestly, I think 7 bunny years is a pretty good run. (Please, if you are a PETA person just save the tongue lashing...) I mean somebody's gotta be at the lower end of the lifespan average, right!?!
My wonderful FIL and MIL are helping out with DS 4 this week. I urged my son to wait until the weekday for a vet visit cause I don't want this little visit to cost any more than it has to. He wasn't happy at all. And, yes, secretly I was wishing it just "might" be Button's time to go. By Sunday night I knew it wasn't. I also knew that I had to do my best to get this pet...this "family member"....to the vet for my DS 4's sake.
So, my FIL and DS 4 made the trip on Monday. When my FIL called me the night before and asked me just how much money I wanted to pay to extend the bunny's life, I laughed. Extend it? No, I just want him to be without pain and happy for however many
FIL and DS 4 returned Monday evening with meds for the bunny. The vet isn't quite sure what's "wrong" with him. In fact, he may be just fine, as he perked back up quite a bit during the day on Monday and in . And it only cost us $57 for the visit and the meds. The pill we are able to give him. It's the sawdust looking stuff that is more difficult. Still, we'll give it our best...even if my teeth are gritted while we're doing it!
DS 4 is happy that his pet is going to make it. The bunny is satisfied and happy by all outward appearances.
The Mother? She needs a little work! Especially if this bunny is going to be around another three years!
4 comments:
I love the honesty of this post! And frankly, if I was involved in the story, it would have read something like "and then we returned the baby bunny to the pet store for a full refund."
LOL!
I have a 14 year old cat and a 10 year old dog that I feel much the same about! I felt this way about them when they were a 10 week old kitten and a 12 week old puppy too. I do NOT believe that "pets" are humans... and I do NOT believe we should take out a 2nd (or 3rd) mortgage to keep them alive - nor EVEN comfortable. I do believe that if they can not be kept comfortable with cheap medications that we should go and be WITH them as they are sent into the ever after. I LOVE my pets - but they are pets. They are not people. Having said that... I'm glad that DS4 doesn't have to say goodbye just yet. I think now is the time for him to START coming to terms with the fact that Buttons will not be around forever.
I have had two bunnies - one of them died about 3 years ago after I had him for 10 years. And as crazy as it seems, they are family members and it is hard to see them go - even if they are cage pets. Can't say I miss the cage and the cleaning, though...
Spoken like a true mom--the things we do for love! (of kids, not so much animals.)
Post a Comment