We have a pond in our backyard, so we get to hear many of these noises during most nights. Summertime is especially busy as we go to sleep. This year, we have a new sound, though.
It's a songbird. Well, I don't know if it's REALLY a "songbird"...but it's a bird that is singing. LOUD!
The problem is, it doesn't happen as the night creeps in. It doesn't even happen softly as I lay my head on the pillow. No. She "sings" starting around 4am and goes for at least an hour and a half! This morning, while laying awake again and listening to her song, a thought occured to me. At any other time of the day, and even some of the night, I might find her song enjoyable. For me, at that hour, it's not. It's the right song at a very wrong time.
There's a lesson in there for all of us. We have all been giving a "song to sing"--a life to live. We have to make sure that our song is not annoying and/or delivered at the wrong time, however. So today rather than thinking of ways that I could go outside and shoo the songbird away, I whispered a prayer. "God, thank you for the lesson of the songbird. Help me know when to "sing my life's song" and when to be quiet. I'm sorry for those times it's just noise to those around me. Help me be in tune to you and your timing more often." And, then I thanked Him for using his wonderful creation to teach me yet another lesson. Unfortunately, though, I did "think" the P.S.: "P.S. God, could you PLEASE help this little songbird move on to someone else's tree tomorrow morning??"
Yep, I still have more to learn.
5 comments:
Such a good reminder for me - I tend to sing way too much!
Great post. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry that my thoughts had you 'chewing.' It really was just something I feel that I must do - can't say it's totally scriptural - to pray all the time for those who wrong you. :)
Hugs,
mary
A very thought provoking post. I know to which you speak as well. ;)
Great thoughts, Susan, and I feel your pain. For the entire month of June, we had birds outside our window singing at 1:30 AM. I had never heard of birds singing in the middle of the night! Thankfully, whatever they were so happy about has passed, and we are now sleeping at night (except when my darling daughter wakes me up, of course). :)
LOL! I would have been asking "okay Lord, now that I got the message, can you wake her up at 8:00 tomorrow morning?"
Post a Comment