More Info About Me

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I'd Rather Have My Head in the Sand...

Sometimes I'd just rather put my head in the sand and ignore the things happening in the world around me. I know that's not the way it's "supposed" to be. I also believe that we are supposed to be well-informed and responsible citizens. Maybe that's why the political climate bothers me so much.

I don't care which side of the political fence you're on, the mudslinging is just ridiculous! I teach Elementary School and this is one of those lessons that starts in the Kindergarten sandbox. Play nice. Be fair. Be kind to others.

Oh I know that sometimes someone's got to win. But at what expense?

As I've noted recently, I am often on the fence about which candidate I'd like to see in office. This is true for any race no matter how big or small. I don't always vote the "party line". As Melli noted in a comment here the other day, I vote the "person". And if I don't know the person, I won't vote for that race. I'm afraid that there are many voters out there who vote a name only because they've seen a street corner sign that shouted "vote for me!"

Anyway, as I've watched this whole VP pick from the McCain camp, I am sad. I'm not sad for Palin. I'm not sad for McCain. I'm sad for their families. As one journalist said last night, "When a person runs for public office, no family member or friend they've known in their lifetime is safe from scrutiny." I'm sure they knew that Palin's young daughter's pregnancy would be campaign fodder---or really journalistic fodder. And I applaud the other candidates who have said, "We're not going there." Still the train rolls on and names and faces are slathered all over our television screens.

The truth is, it wouldn't matter who or what the candidate is or was, we live in a world full of "dirt diggers":

  • Did you know that candidate X's third cousin on his Mother's side did....?
  • Candidate Y has been reportedly seen in........
  • Candidate Z was recently seen in a car with........
  • When {this candidate} was 15, he did.......
  • At the age of 22, {that candidate} tried...

And whether we are a candidate or an average person, we all have dirt!

I know that we do not live in a "Christian" society. I don't think we can, or should, expect people who are not Christians to act as such. But, in the words of a VERY WISE LEADER, I have one thing to say:

"Let he (or she) who is without sin (or a troubled past or skeletons in the closet) cast the first stone!"

9 comments:

samurai said...

Well said...

Oh, BTW - could you see if you could get Hanna to maybe skip over you guys. I think you all have had enough rain lately. :)

heidi @ ggip said...

Yes, the mudslinging is so tiring.

Melli said...

AMEN Sister Susan!!! I find that by NOT watching television I miss out on a good bit of the eye gouging, bone crushing, dirt slinging crap that goes on. By glancing through the paper, avoiding the HEADLINE stories, I feel I have been able to eek out enough info to make an educated decision without having to deal with too much of the dirt. I hope my decision is educated enough...

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Oh boy do I agree!! Great post!! I always vote for the person NOT the party. I always have and will continue to do the same thing!! I hate all of this press stuff!! Stupidity!!

Anonymous said...

Well spoken!
(Or Written)
Marilyn

Tammy said...

I know...and when I was watching the history channel a few months back on all of the presidents of history, do you know that the mud slinging has been going on since the beginning? Sad, but true!

kreed said...

I have been keeping the TV off of the news (and mostly just off!)because I just can't take it...very tiring!

Susan said...

Very well said, Susan. While I support McCain-Palin strongly I do not ever want to be part of speaking evil against anyone. Yes, we ALL have our dirt!!!
Susan

Linda said...

Very well put!!